Server Rack Accessory Terminology

Below is a snapshot of commonly used terms when discussing Server Racks, Server Cabinets, and Wall mounts.


Cage Nut:

Cage nuts are used on a server rack with square mounting holes. This useful hardware allows you to change threads intermittently while never incurring stripped tapped holes on your server rack. Cage nuts come in multiple sizes, but three are the most common including 10-32 Cage nuts, 12-24 Cage nuts, and as an M6 Cage nut. Depending on the equipment you are mounting, you would select the specific type of cagenut to match your equipment. The only downside to cage nuts can be the difficulty installing and removing them, but our Cage Nut Removal Tool alleviates this problem.


Filler Panel vs. Blanking Panel:

Different names, same meaning. Filler panels are flat sheets of metal that “fill” empty “U” spaces on your server rack. These panels are important because they assist with airflow management preventing the exhaust air from warming the cooler air. This process helps to cool your rack more efficiently. Filler and blanking panels are one of the most cost effective ways to lower your energy costs.




“U” Space or Rack Unit:

A single rack unit or “U” space is equivalent to 1.750 inches or 44.45 millimeters of space. This one “U” space includes three holes for mounting for mounting your hardware to your server rack or wall mount. When deciding what size server racks you need, most would consider the number of “U” spaces first before researching the server racks for purchase.


For more help understanding the terminology associated with Server Racks, Server Cabinets, and Wall mounts, contact an account manager at Rackmount Solutions.

Call: 1.800.352.6631

Visit: Rackmount Solutions Contact Us

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *